WHAT I BELIEVE
PASTOR, WORSHIP LEADER, COMMUNICATOR
The daughter of a pastor, I grew up in the church, and at the age of 5,
I “asked Jesus into my heart” while listening to a Bullfrogs and Butterflies cassette in my family room.
During high school and college, God brought me to a greater understanding of my own need for grace, moving me from a place of “spiritual superiority” to a place of compassion, empathy, and grace. At the age of 21, I felt God call me into ministry, so I completed my degree in worship arts at Hope International University. In the nearly 2 decades since, I have worked every day to help communicate the Gospel to those who are in need.
I believe in the triune God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. They are 3 in 1, separate and distinct members of the godhead, yet equal in all ways. I believe that Jesus was born of a virgin, walked a perfect, sinless life on earth, and not only did not commit sin, but also completely fulfilled the will of the Father. I believe that Jesus was crucified on a cross to take on the punishment for my sin and the sins of all mankind. He was buried in a borrowed tomb and on the 3rd day, He rose, forever defeating sin and conquering death. If you want to have your sins forgiven, if you want to spend eternity in Heaven with God, Jesus is the one and only Way, Truth, and Life. I believe that the Bible is the inerrant word of God, alive and active, “useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.” There is not a “hierarchy” of sin in the eyes of God; “all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God” (Rom 3:23). As such, I believe that God loves you; your race, gender, creed, sexual orientation, political party, or sports team of choice does not alter His (or my) affection for you.
My theology of worship centers around a few key verses.
- I view living a life of worship (ascribing worth to God) as the hub or center of my life from which everything else emanates.
“And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him.” (Romans 12:1)
- I seek to glorify and magnify Jesus Christ through corporate and private worship as evidenced through music, drama, dance, and other mediums.
“Come, let us tell of the Lord ‘s greatness; let us exalt his name together.” (Psalms 34:3)
- I seek to develop mature Christians by enabling meaningful encounters between the Church and the Holy Spirit. (Acts 8:26-40) (The Ethiopian Eunuch)
- I seek to model dynamic, radical worship, as evident in how I worship and how my worship affects my life and the lives of those around me.
“Honor the Lord , you heavenly beings; honor the Lord for his glory and strength. Honor the Lord for the glory of his name. Worship the Lord in the splendor of his holiness.“ (Psalm 29)
- I desire that corporate worship would prepare the Church to hear, connect, and respond to the message of the Gospel.
“Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts.” (Col. 3:16)
- I desire that the local church becomes a body that worships the Lord in spirit and in truth.
“But the time is coming—indeed it’s here now—when true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth.” (John 4:23)